Thursday, 17 September 2015

Music Video Analysis

Music Video Analysis: Keane- Everybodys Changing (Alternative Version)






Keane’s music video “Everybody’s Changing” is very similar to Rich Lee’s, Churchills, music video ‘Change’. The main way in which they both represent one another is that of the lyrics. Both songs and music videos are about change and is represented through denotations and conventions of that topic (Change). As a result, this video then corresponds with Goodwins theory “There is a relationship between the
music and the visuals”. The reason as to why I enjoy Keane’s music video ‘Everybody’s Changing’ directed by Mark Pellington is for the plain and simple set up. As I have previously mentioned I wish to direct my music production mostly in a plain white room to allow the characters of which I use to have full attention of the audience.The way in which this video was directed sticks to basic conventions such as, Joan Lynch’s theory ‘that there are three basic video structures’ they are as followed, 1.Performance, 2. Narrative and 3.Concept. I believe that this certain music video is purely performance however narrative is shown through visual connotations. These denotations and connotations are represented by change of clothes and are following the lyrics.

Onto the technical side of the music video. The camera shots and angles used are stereotypical of the rock/ slow rock genre of which Keane are a part of. The close and medium close ups allows you as a viewer to gain detail in what these artists are wearing, showing them in their natural state at the beginning already suggesting that they are to change. Throughout the music video we quickly learn that this follows Goodwins theory ‘There is a relationship between the music and the visuals’. Its also planned within this music video that the first time the word ‘Changing’ is mentioned we cut straight to the pianist changing from a male to a female to heighten the effect and relationship of visuals and the lyrics. The cuts between shots correspond with the beat of the music. This makes it much more easier to watch as it flows throughout. When it comes to the genres of this music video in particular I believe that this is an ‘Enhanced performance’ meaning ‘Videos which blend performance elements with other visual elements, a blend justified through either associational, narrative or abstract forms of motivation.’ This theory is linked with Jon Gow (1992). The reason I believe this music video fits into this certain genre is because of the way it is filmed and the way the relationship between the visuals and lyrics are represented on screen. 
The main aspects of which I wish to include within my music production are as followed-

The usage of close ups against the plain white background. The reason for this being is I like the way all focus is on that man person and you are allowed to take in every detail of emotion in their face. The song I’m working with has plenty of emotional factors within it so therefore need some sort of shot to create the emotional feel whether that be sadness or happiness. The shots which change due to the beat is something I also wish to replicate. I feel that by using this technique it will allow my music video to flow with ease as the audience watches it. The conventions of Goodwins theory is that I wish to create within my own production. The way in which ‘there is a relationship between the music and the visuals’ is something I yet again wish to recreate.



Taylor Swift 'Style' Music Video Analysis




Taylor Swifts Music Video, ‘Style’ directed by Kyle Newman is very different to the other music videos of which I have looked at Previously. The aspects of silhouettes and changing backgrounds within them was something that caught my eye. I don't particularly wish to include these type of shots or effects, it just caught my eye. The way in which taylor is shown in an empty room is something I wish to recreate. As I have previously mentioned I want my actors and actresses to show emotion within their gaze. They way the camera is set up and the shots used such as Close and Extreme close ups, Medium shots and slow motion it gives this certain conventional aspect of ‘romantic’ music videos. 

The use of the green screen is something I wish to use within my own music video. I enjoy the way the director (Kyle Newman) has cleverly converted the screen to different backgrounds, i.e the beach, White screen and a blacked out room. These denotations and connotations add to the effect of the love story and give taylor her own ideology. Taylor Swift is known for being a hopeless romantic as she's never settling down with one person, however the conventions used throughout this music video also suggest this. The lyrics contribute with the song as Goodwin quotes his theory “There is a relationship between the music and the visuals”. This without a doubt is certainly the case here as the after effects and denotations of white space connotes emptiness between them both representing the love lost which is made beautifully as it is subtle but at the same time obvious enough to plant the seed of that representation in the audiences mind without them being able to comme
nt on it. 

The way the first scene shows the young man inside Taylors head allows us to gain the information that he in fact is on her mind constantly and we are already within three seconds have been introduced to the two main people of which this music video is about. I like this effect and wish to use it within my music video. I want to have shown all the actors/ actresses that I shall be using in my music video within the first thirty seconds or so. I believe this is essential so the audience already without effort know who to focus on and can start to being analysing my production.


When thinning about the genres of this music video its very clear from the start that its about a love story. We can understand this by the Artist, Taylor Swift as she has her own ideology behind her style of music as once again being obsessed with love and boys. When connecting it to a theory such as Jon Gows, I believe the performance acts as a ‘Special effect extravaganza’ meaning the video in which human performance is over shadowed by spectacular imagery, for example where the green screen in used to replace tailors head with a beach setting and the young man standing within a cave. I also believe it is classed as an ‘Enhanced Performance’ this means videos which blend performance elements with other visual elements, a blend justified through either associational, narrative, or abstract forms of motivation. This is mostly seen with how the lyrics corresponds with actions made by taylor. The blends from scene to scene are also very smooth how at 0:52-0:56 Taylors face blends into darkness making the screen turn pitch black then allowing the next scene to blend through the darkness so we can clearly see the face of the young male. this feature I wish to use within my Music Production. Going back to Goodwin I also believe that the theory he wrote ‘There is a demand on the part of the record company for lots of close-ups of the main artist/vocalist. This is extremely correct when analysing Taylor Swifts ‘Style” music video. The whole video is based on close ups of both actors. This is also something I wish to used within my music video as I feel it adds a professional class to the Music Video.


1 comment:

  1. A good analysis. You have applied relevant theory and discussed technical and symbolic codes. Well done Charlotte. Maintain this level of explanation and analysis.

    ReplyDelete